Rosemary is a healing herb that belongs to the Plantae Kingdom of classification. They are of the mint family named Lamiacae. The scientific name of this healing herb is Rosmarinus officinalis.
Rosemary is woody in nature. It is a perennial herb that contains fragrance. They are evergreen and they possess needle-like leaves. They offer some pretty and colourful flowers to the nature. Rosemary has a fibrous root system.
Perennials herbs or plants are those herbs or plants that live for a span of more than two years. Hence, it’s name.
Such kind of herbs offer blooming followers in the spring and summer season and holds a no-flower season in the autumn and winter months.
Botany explains evergreen herbs or plants to be of the category that bears leaves throughout the year. As is evident by it’s name, they are ‘ever green’ all the time.
Rosemary is a native to the Mediterranean region.
The Rosemary shrub is known as the “Rose of Mary”. It is believed that once Virgin Mary had been resting on the white flowers of Rosemary turning it blue.
This herb is considered to be sacred to the Egyptians, Romans and Greeks.
Rosemary is often used as an ornamental plant in the gardens owing to its attractive colours. This herb offers an inbuilt drought tolerant capability.
It is easy to grow rosemary. Adding to the cultivator’s glee, this plant is pest resistant as well.
They are also grown in the xeriscape landscape in regions of the Mediterranean Sea.
This is a type of landscape gardening technique which eliminates the need of using supplemental water for irrigation purposes. This is drought tolerant landscaping technique.
- Rosemary offers a rich source of iron, calcium and vitamin B-6.
- Rosemary tastes amazingly delicious in culinary dishes.
- It’s heavenly fragrance contributes to the making of body perfumes.
- Rosemary contains Anti-oxidants. Hence, it neutralises free radicals which are harmful for the body.
- Along with being a rich source of the former it also possesses anti- inflammatory properties.
- It helps to boost the immune system.
- It improves blood circulation.
- Rosemary is often used to treat problems due to indigestion.
- It helps improve a person’s concentration level; hence enhancing the memory capacities.
- Rosemary is good for brain functioning. It offers a protection against brain stroke and any kind of brain damage. It enhances and improves the recovery of any occurred damages to the brain.
- It prevents the aging of the brain.
- It is needed in the treatment of cancer. Also, along with that it reduces the formation of the cancer causing agents further.
- It contains anti – tumor agent.
- It slows the spread of human leukemia.
- It protects against the age related mascularv regeneration naturally.
Over consumption, referring to the in take of this medical herb more than the small quantity clinically suggested for a particular purpose may cause several disorders.
Some of the side effects are vomiting, spasms and coma.